Monday, February 21, 2011

Blog Alert: Bob is safely out of Christchurch, NZ

I think it best to let everyone know that I left Christchurch, NZ this morning and at 1:00pm Tuesday  (7:00pm EDT on Monday) a major earthquake hit Christchurch.  It was about 6.3 on the scale and early reports are for major damage to Christchurch and its infrastructure.  The airport has been closed...and to happen at miday on a workday in the city was not a good omen.

I arrived in Picton, NZ about the time the quake hit and this city had no effects.  I boarded the ferry at Picton and am now out in the Cook Strait headed to Wellington.

I will leave you with this one last thought.  While in the South Island I talked to someone who lives in Christchurch and they told me about being rolled from their bed at 5:30am.  Last evening when I got into bed at my hotel....I thought about that for maybe 5 seconds....whew!!!!

And the monkey today said....it is time to get the hell out of here!!!

4 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you are safe, i thought about you as the news of the earthquake reached the states.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Appreciate your thoughts Ron....it is very tragic and the death toll could easily reach over 100.....I was within 5 hours of being right there!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh thank God Bob! I just heard about the earthquake and immediately thought about you being there. So glad you are safe and sound and on your way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just missed it by about 5 hours Scott....I had been in the Catherdral the day before....very scary....

    ReplyDelete