Friday, February 25, 2011

Rotorua to Auckland

Time to leave the Maori behind....but not really....since there presence is there in almost all of New Zealand.  But today it is off to the largest city in New Zealand...Auckland...comprising 1/4 of the total population of New Zealand at about 1 million.

Here is one of the interesting sights I saw was formations from a previous volcano.  It of course is probably hundreds of years old...these were fairly plentiful upon leaving Rotorua....



The beautiful Walkato River is in the center region of the Maori people (see I told you their presence was there)....



I just thought....maybe I have not shown the motor coach that has taken me on this journey through New Zealand.,,,,well this is the coach used for the Northern tour of New Zealand  (oh....and coach...same as bus...right?)



Next up,,,,,,


A busy city on a Friday afternoon at 5:00.....


So first maybe a stop at the Prime Minister Jackson memorial.  Jackson was very instrumental in the early thirties in bringing together the Maori people...



The flowers within the garden area of the memorial were awesome....and there were some first class bees enjoying the nectar.....




And off in the distance.....a Auckland landmark....the Sky Tower.....



One other landmark I must include for my Architect friend Joel......this is a building that is known far and wide within New Zealand as the toilet seat building....what do you think?



Finally I arrive at my room at the Rydges.....



and WOW.....look out my window.....


And.....now it is almost midnight.....and tomorrow....off to the Bay of Islands....

1 comment:

  1. I'm only now just catching up - what fun! Thanks for sharing! You have a future in the liesure travel business for certain!

    ReplyDelete