Sunday, April 17, 2011

Cambridge - my last day here...

Today begins my last day here in Cambridge.  It has truly been one of the premier stops on the RTW I tour....and a city I will definitely have to put on the calendar for a return visit.

The day had two great experiences...both of which were not on photographed.  Yeah...no camera allowed....It was another visit to the Cambridge Wordfest.  This time a it was Arlene Phillips....does the name even sound familiar?  Well in the UK she is a judge on "So you think you can Dance".  But her background as a choreographer is very noteworthy....for example for the movie "Annie"....or "Starlight Express"...."The Wizard of Oz"...."Grease"....and more....a dancer turned choreographer and now a dance judge...plus Author.  Her books are directed toward children..."Alana Dancing Star".  Her presentation was great...plus she provided a critique for each of the 3 dancing groups that performed.  A really special show.

Then the next event you could probably expect there would be no photography....it was a Buddhist meditation, presentation and discussion as well as closing service.  In total it lasted over 3 hours.  The meditation was over 40 minutes....and for me the most difficult part....having never been to a Buddhist meditation before I had no idea the duration.  The presentation and discussion groups were very good....as was the service.  (Okay....let me also explain the terms I use may not be correct for describing the Buddhist event....but I am sure someone will correct me and I will then correct the blog...deal?).  So the Cambridge Buddhist Centre consumed most of the afternoon.

I did have time today to take a last look at the beauty and color of Cambridge...especially the flowers.
The first photo is a bush called "Broom".....I did not know that initially, but my friend Barbara in Edinburgh gave me the name...it is almost like spirea or forsythia, but a very small bush....take a look...



 The one thing that is very plentiful is the wisteria (sp)...




....and the iris...so...so beautiful...


and a couple more floral selections....















Then I will give you one last look inside the chapel of All Saints which is the Church for Westcott College..



Okay.....I finish up here in Cambridge with these next two photos....the first is of the Catholic Church....and take a look at these 'flying buttress"..



Finally....this picture.  I have passed this every day since I have been in Cambridge....and either did not have time to step inside to take the picture or did not have my camera (FORBID!!)....But today...is the day....it is the courtyard of Christ's College....and is oh so beautiful....


Tomorrow I leave for York....and then on to Edinburgh.....

No comments:

Post a Comment