Friday, April 22, 2011

The Scottish Highlands - and the Loch Ness

Okay...now before we even begin with this....I did go up to the Loch Ness..and maybe...just maybe I was expecting to see the monster...I said maybe!!  Well, maybe I was expecting to see the William and Kate...let me assure you from the start....I saw none of that....I did not see William...Kate....or the Monster!!

So, what did I see....well on the way to the Scottish Highlands in the early morning mist one begins to see the real Scotland....the beauty of its mountains...its fields....its unique homes (yeah...BIG) Here is a first look...



And the mirror images from the lakes....



...Oh yes...and the homes....




I found this for my friends Dave and Chris....this was at one time the main road bridge....now with a new road in the area...it has become a bicycle bridge....so for all the cyclist this is a calling....come to Scotland and take advantage of these special roads just for you.....


and a smaller version of the bike bridge....



There was still snow on the mountains in the Highlands.....as well as some guy thinking he could climb to the top...NOT!!




And out here amongst the Higlands....Highland Bag Pipers....of course....






The Highland country church with adjoining cemetery....and then a lane leading down to anther beautiful home nestled in the hills.....



Mirror lake....and you can easily see where it gets the name....




Then just before we entered the Loch Ness area...some deer....not too popular in this area...since they are so plentiful and as a result cause a number of accidents....I should point out these were the domestic type...raised for livestock production....



As I entered the Loch Ness area....here are the Lochs adjacent to the boarding area for the boat cruise on Loch Ness.... 




...then it is out on the Loch Ness.....with beautiful scenery on both sides....





I then spotted this wild goat in up in the hills just off the Loch....I was told it was possible to see goat, deer or even eagle....but the wild goat is all I saw....




Now....I have already told you I did not see the Loch Ness Monster.....but....I did see where he tried to come out of the water and go up the hill....only to slide back down in the water...which by the way in this Loch is some 800 feet deep!!!



After leaving the Loch....the road back to Edinburgh provided opportunities to see some beautiful streams, waterfalls and trees/flowers.....






Plus a drive by of a Scottish Institution.....a Distiller of Whiskey....



Then a "Post Card" look at Blair Castle.....majestic in the distance...and home to the first woman member of Parliament....




Finally.....let me introduce you to Barbara and David Paterson.  Barbara and I were table mates along with 4 other passengers on the QE2 several years ago for 17 days in the Mediterranean.  She has kept contact with me over the years and when she found I was coming to Scotland and Edinburgh in particular she extended and invitation to dinner at her home.  Plus....she provided a host of material on Scotland as well as Edinburgh...everything from bus routes, tours and a bit of fudge to nibble upon.  

Here are Barbara and her husband David...


and one of their lovely cats....


A BIGGGGG thank you to Barbara and David for hosting me at a splendid dinner and great spirits to boot.  She even tried to trick me with the "haggist".....but her version was outstanding.....

Off to Glasgow.....

No comments:

Post a Comment