Sunday, April 24, 2011

City of Glasgow Scotland

Easter Sunday....what better day to take in the City of Glasgow beginning with the Botanical Garden...beautiful flowers all in spring bloom!!  And what a glorious Easter morning it was....



Cool...huh?... now onto exploring Glasgow...Oh, before going much further...for my friends with the Intercontinental Hotel Groups I notice you have your own fleet of cars here in Glasgow....this is just for you guys....



Okay...the first stop is the Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum....almost looks like a Smithsonian building....


I have traveled into City Centre of Glasgow several times....and each time I am struck by the number of statutes in this one area called George Square....and also by the fact that Queen Victoria and her husband Prince Albert are not center stage....but this is a young Victoria....take a look..she is first...


then it is Albert....



Then we have William Gladstone....


There were also statues of Sir Walter Scott, Robert Burns.....and on and on...I believe about 8 or 9 all together....okay moving right along....

Next up was the Glasgow Cathedral...with the city symbol in the foreground as part of the light fixture....


...A clearer shot of the Cathedral....and like most landmarks Worldwide....under restoration/renovation....




My entry and exit into Glasgow was made at this point....


Which we passed on the way to an area called Glasgow Green....where a beautiful fountain called Doulton Fountain is located.  Doulton Fountain is the largest terracotta fountain in the WORLD!!


The building just behind the fountain is the Templeton Carpet Factory....


Just adjacent to the fountain on the other side is the Peoples Palace and Winter Garden...first opened in late 1800's it is now a museum.



After leaving the park I was struck by the number of Pubs in the city...we passed one after another...the first in Glasgow...the largest in Glasgow...the first in almost every category.  But then I found one for my friend Kirk...his own pub...here in Glasgow...

Well at least we know they have Guinness....

Besides Pubs....I was also struck by the number of "new" structures....even destroying history probably to erect a new creation....for example the Scottish Exhibition and Convention Center...but I thought it reminded me of the Sydney Opera House...what do you think?


You know by now if you have followed me on the blog...I am a fan of bridges.....well here is the one for today...

 

....and that structure is called the Clyde Arc...which takes one across the River Clyde...but of course...


And another "modern" structure is the Glasgow Science Center.....


But I could not leave by blogging of Glasgow without showing a true "old" beauty....the Glasgow University Complex....





I did take a look back at the skyline and found this picture....showing while a number of spires...there were 4 different varieties....have a look...



Okay...that is it from Glasgow....now off to Ireland....but I want to leave you with another favorite photo of the day.  This is from a restaurant that is closed...and for sale....there was really no specialty...it to me was a trying to cover the Asian Market....




1 comment:

  1. Hello There,

    I emailed you a while back but am hoping commenting here will get more luck of a reply.

    I am doing some work for the BBC (London) and would love to use your image of the Peoples Palace as a feature.

    Would you give me permission to do so?

    My email is: info@jumpdesign.co.uk

    Kind Regards,

    Natasha

    ReplyDelete