Thursday, April 14, 2011

A visit to Southampton

Okay I have to admit....I did take a couple "camera-free" days.  When I arrived in the London from Dubai I rested up from the 8+ hr flight.  I then decided I wanted to visit one of my (and the Queens) favorite places - Windsor.  I also made a trip to Oxford.  And, because I have been there quite a few times and taken many pictures in the past I wanted to just go and be a free spirit.  So I did.

I also spend a night at the theater....and London is like no other for that.  I saw "Wicked"....again....and can report it is alive and well...and I think is here for quite a long run...almost like "Chicago",  "Mama Mia".  and "Billy Elliott" - they do love their musicals.

Today, I decided to head back outside London central and go South to Southampton.  I have traveled there several times as well...but never by train.  Southampton is most recognized by me as the departure city for Cunard Lines - Queen Elizabeth II, Queen Mary and Queen Victoria. Since I had a BritRail pass it was quite easy to just hop on a train from Waterloo station and head South....

Now I need to set up BritRail by letting you know there are several different lines...and each leaves from a different London station.  Thus the trains to the South leave from Waterloo....on Friday when I head North it will be from King's Cross.  Also....trains in the UK run very efficiently and on time....thus if the train leaves at 07:48....it will begin moving at 07:48....and if to arrive at 09:03...you got it...arrives at 09:03.  So you don't want to be late to the station...or decide to nap on the train...you may miss  your stop!

This is a view of the inside of the cars....quite comfortable and quiet...they also feature a "trolly" of snacks that travels through the train...


I had almost forgot about Spring.....being in climates where it is in the 80's and 90's...so seeing all the tress and flowers in full bloom was a treat.....


and the green grass and rolling hillside and the farmland along the way....





Tucked in secluded areas along the way are some of the classic English Country homes....


Upon arrival in Southampton one can still see the damage that was inflicted on this large Southern port city by the German Luftwaffe in World War II.  The German bombing was relentless to the people and some 1500 air raids were recorded over the span of the war.  At one time in the last of November to 1 of December 1940 it was so intense it was termed the "Southampton Blitz".  Here are a couple photos of some of those damages.....



The mainstay of the city is still the port.  Thus there are the ferry boat docks....



and the large ship docks....


And...have a look....a ship I traveled the maiden trans-Atlantic voyage on...Queen Victoria has arrived in dock....the lady and her sister ship Queen Mary have been followers of mine on this RTW part I....




However the English countryside is my focus....with the little quaint church....


...or a "mini" castle....


...and the manor home....



but always the roads that lead to hone across those beautiful green fields....



I have to say....this guy cannot get enough of this....it is so beautiful...so picturesque...my only hope is you will come and enjoy this for yourself.  

Okay...tomorrow begins a swing through England....Scotland....Ireland and Wales....and then back to London just after the wedding.  The wedding you ask?  Prince William and Catherine of course...the city of London is getting geared up....and prepping has begun big time.  Today it was horse guard practice...yesterday the trumpeters....and soon the coach will go cross the city...just to practice the route.  Sorry, I will have no pictures of the event...having not been invited....and thankful to be outside London on that day.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures, would love to see the English countyside!! Don't know if I could trade my coffee for tea, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait till you see Cambridge!!!! You will not miss your coffee...Starbuck's is everywhere!!

    ReplyDelete