Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Australia in my rear view mirror.....and on to Bangkok

My last day in Australia begins with a flight from Melbourne to Sydney....then a 9hr flight to Bangkok...arriving just after midnight on Tuesday, March 22nd.  Here is a look at the Sydney skyline from the airport.....


Wait a second...let me put that in the Qantas prospective considering they are one of Australia's most well known symbols...


oh yeah...much better....and while waiting for my flight I got a few more great shots of the A380 on the ground....



But alas....I will be boarding this 747 for my journey...into Thailand.


I was welcomed to my Bangkok hotel (The Lebua at State Tower) with an upgrade.  Considering it was almost 1:30 in the morning when I arrived at the hotel I did not argue.  Here are shots I took the next day of my suite...






With all the earthquakes...I found myself on the 53rd floor....with a balcony no less....YIKES!!  This is the balcony...



The great part of the balcony was the view of this immense city....for example...




My day in Bangkok began with trying to overcome some jet lag...adjusting to a loss of 4 hrs on the time clock...and an early morning arrival.  I ventured out this afternoon...the heat was stifling...had to be in the 90's.  The streets and alleys of Bangkok are very much like other Asian Countries...stalls with all types of goods cramped together....all types of food being cooked on the street.  Sorry guys....I did not take my camera....since I expected to just check out the area and then go back out.  Well...a full fledge thunder storm hit...and the lightening show from the 53rd floor was amazing.  And the rain was such a downpour that I could see nothing but rain from my balcony...all the areas around the hotel were masked by the rain....what a storm...and in a city of 12 million...traffic came to a slow crawl...this is a view about 3:30 to 4:00....


Here is that same view some 2 and a half hours later....



So it is good night to Bangkok....tomorrow my brief journey to India and the Taj Mahal.....one more pic of the night lights here...

4 comments:

  1. wow.. one night in bangkok and the world seems to be your oyster...On to India!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bangkok is sort of a wash out....it is still raining....has been since about midnight last night....some severe but just steady rain....yuck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why go anywhere with a hotel room like that!! I would imagine the rain keeps the smell down as well...look for silver linings Bobby! Trip looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete